Llyn Sub-Aqua Club

Click thumbnails to see larger versions of the photographs

Sunday 31st May 2011 Nant Gwrtheyrn & The Gwynfaen

The first day for ages the wind had not been blowing a gale, but to get its own back the weather rained on us first thing. This cleared to a overcast day, with a bit of breeze as the day wore on.

We stuck to the plan and went for the shelter of Nant Gwrtheyrn . Andrew went in for his first boat dive with David J. They had a nice dive with good vis. (it is coming off neaps!) but the down side for Andrew was that on return to the boat he realised he does need sea sickness pills, as he was feeling rather delicate (but he did keep it down). Pete Wyn & me went a little further westward to a site that showed bumps on the bottom. Which turned out to be several huge boulders. The vis. was good at about 7 metres (it is coming off neaps!).

Lunch was at Porth Dinllaen, where Andrew tried his best to get out of the second dive but was bullied into it be the rest of us & mike (nursing a bad back), who turned up to see what we were up to. So off to the Gwynfaen with dedicated cox Wyn who's suit valve was leaking badly & did not fancy another cold dive. Wyn shot the Gwynfaen spot on first time round. We had arrived too early for slack but it was not too bad (and, it is coming off neaps!). Good vis. again, not too many fish on site yet, but one humongous lobster under the deck (the photo does not do it justice).

Recovery of the boat took all of Wyn's experience, as the beach was well cut up, even in the landrover it needed some welly to get out. Andrew survived the second dive but was glad to get his feet back on dry land!

“it is coming off neaps!” - a quote by David J that amused us at the time. Dave H

Wednesday 18th May 2011 Gimlet Rock.

Hi every one this is my first attempt to write the Wednesday dive report “thanks Irfon” so I apologise in advance. A brisk south westerly put us at the far end off Gimlet, so the entry was quite challenging over the rocks. On entry the vis was much better than we first thought with plenty of life to be seen, even a rod and reel sadly…. I still couldn't catch a fish. It was a good turnout 6 trainees and 6 instructors and 2 shore cover, the outgoing dive was effortless and enjoyable but on the return required a bit more effort against the currant. Peter and Emma had a seal for company on their return dive, exiting the water proved to be a bit more challenging than the entry of which Emma found out after getting beached on the rocks. As we were de- kiting we had a fantastic acrobatic display from a pod of dolphins. Andrew.

Wedneday 11 May 2011 - Trefor Pier.

Another very windy Wednesday evening was forecast but this time from the west so it had to be Trefor Pier or nowhere, although an early start was needed to catch the tide. There was a surprisingly good show of interest from 6 trainees and 4 instructors, clearly showing that last week's low viz. dive had not quelled enthusiasm. Peter went with Andrew to do the third lesson, which would set him up for a boat or quarry dive, with Carl R there to inspect the scenary while they did the exercises in 6 metres. Irfon took Brett & Nia for an extended swim and to finish off the first lesson while Stephen had the task of getting Emma underwater in her new undersuit, with Iorwerth making up the threesome. I went with Lowri, who was trying out a new weight belt to avoid a repeat of her first sea dive when it slipped and ended up round her ankles, to do the second lesson.

All went well with the viz. of about 2 metres being slightly better than expected, and everyone getting in a worthwhile dive. Andrew completed his exercises, Nia did nearly let go of Irfon's arm, Emma did get under and had a good swim and Lowri completed most of her exercises even though she started with only 130 bar, and thus only managed to get half way down the pier. Mike, Vi & Rhian were on hand to do shore cover and to provide expert analysis on the problems some of the trainees are having with drysuit dump valves, with particular emphasis on posture!! They had to endure a sharp shower but we were all rewarded at the end of the evening with the most brilliant of rainbows, a double one no less. The other lesson learnt was the need to waterproof the boot of the car to keep the sea water from doing what it does best.

Needless to say, we adjourned to the Vic., remembering on this occasion to mention that it was the one in Llithfaen, where we were entertained by the local baritone, who was just slightly the worse for wear, having somehow worked out that we must be the latest group of welsh learners from the Nant, even when his questions were answered in Welsh!! DJ

Sunday 8th May 2011. Porth Dinllaen.

I was amazed at the eager response of 6 sensible folk (David J, Mike, John, Irfon, Pete, Lee) wanting to go out in a force 5 to 6 for a dive ('nout as queer as folk!). Anyway, we got up to find the wind was howling, but undaunted we set off. To shelter from the wind we picked a drift dive not far off Nant Gwrtheyrn. The vis., being about 6 metres, for May was very good, with not much hint of a plankton bloom or silt sturred up.

Everyone seemed a bit rusty in the organisation this early in the season. Someone forgot to put the bung in the boat until after launch! John forgot his weight belt, David J was without hood, Irfon needed to borrow a mask & Lee's computer strap broke (it did actually looked like it had been trying to do this for some time). But David J, Irfon, Lee & myself got a nice dive out of the chaos, over a pebbly bottom with Bull Huss, octopus & plenty of sea Hare being spotted. Mike, John & Pete needed the chance of seeing a bit of metal & took us out to the site of a plane wreck, into a good swell. They did not find the wreck but seemed to enjoy themselves anyway on another pebbly seabed for a good 40 mins. (now that just does not sound like Mike!)

After lunch at Porth Dinllaen, Mike & John left and the rest of us had a look round the corner of Porth Dinllaen but decided the wind was too strong. We settled for an interesting dive on the point to the west of the beach. Which had some Kelp for Pete, some nice sand for Irfon's 300 dive. Irfon & David J had a nice long dive & actually made it all the way round the headland & started to make their way to Porth Ysgaden, which made picking them up rather interesting in the large swell.

The luxury of a deserted beach made recovery a joy to top off a nice day. Dave H .

Wednesday 4th May 2011 Porthysgaden.

The strong Easterlies put an end to the proposed dive on the south coast, so it was moved to the only sheltered bay on the Lleyn. It was almost a carbon copy of last week, with a few missing due to work commitments, and that we’d be diving mid tide, this was going to be the trainees’ first low viz dive.

Things didn’t start well for Ian, David J had forgotten to bring a set of regs for him, he was then tasked with shore cover. Lee and Pete were paired up for OO2, as were Iorwerth and Stephen and Irfon and Emma. Wyn took Andrew for a bimble, eventually, after returning to shore a couple of times because of ‘navigational issues’. That left David J to take Bret and Nia for OO1, of which they got through most of it very competently, all that remains is for Nia to work out a way to ditch her weight belt without de-kitting. Most of the other dives went well, all that is except Emma’s as a leaky neck seal put a premature end to her dive. Mike tried out his shiny new drysuit, as worn by the SBS according to him (Sheep Bothering Society that is). Very smart it is too, I can see the advantages of the Velcro knee pads; they should stick to wool like glue! Many thanks to the instructors for giving their time and let’s hope for better viz next time. Irfon

Monday 2nd May 2011.

No dive due to lack of volunteers. Peter.

Sunday 1st May 2011 Dire Straits

Despite the promising forecast of warm and sunny with a bit of a breeze only five brave souls planned to dive. By Sunday morning we were down to four, Carl had gone down with a cold (feet?). Due to the easterly wind we took advantage of Neil’s long standing invitation to launch at Plas Menai on the straits. Despite the wind the straits had only a bit of a chop on so the courtesy tractor launch and motor up beyond Port Dinorwic to our first dive site was easy.

The site was supposedly a potter around in a dip in the main channel on slack but turned into a drift half way back to Plas Menai. The first pair David J and Stephen went in to decidedly murky looking waster. 25 minutes and nearly a mile later they surfaced with tales of good viz, lots of life, wrecks, whales and mermaids. Wyn and I could not wait to get in. Conditions must have changed somewhat between dives as all we found was complete darkness, viz <1m and the bottom flying past in a blur in the dim glow of our torches. Amazing what life manages to hang on to the bottom and thrive in such conditions. Lunch was back at Plas Menai on the patio watching dismasted cats being recovered and yachts exploring the limits of stability. Stephen departed chuckling having only wanted to do one dive while Wyn David and I gave brief presentations on why each of us were best suited to cox for the other pair for the afternoon dive.

David won the debate so took Wyn and I on a sightseeing tour through the swellies (chart recommended, keep close to the east bank) and bridges. With the tide on half ebb and cascading over the submerged swellies rocks it did not look promising for the second dive. We stopped to ask an elderly gent on a pedestal, his only advice was that England expects every man to do his duty. Wyn thought that let him off, being Welsh in Wales, but we decided to drop in anyway, close to a lifeboat for extra safety. We were rewarded with slack water and dropped onto a rocky bottom covered in all sorts of squishy things in a variety of colours along with a good mix of crabs lobsters fish etc. Back to Plas Menai for the complimentary tractor pick up, wash down and flush. Many thanks to Neil for the use of Plas Menai and the goody bag of bits. Peter.


Another Tompot

Blenny & Crab

Large Lobster